Robin and I were in Jasper last weekend having a very nice lunch. As we were finishing up, on of the other patrons came to our table and asked us if were were “the dog trainers”. She had seen our car with the Dog Training signs in the front and was having lunch there too with her Lakeland Terrier. We said that we were the dog trainers and we proceeded to have a very nice conversation about our dogs. She said that she always tried to be a great dog owner and always tried to do whatever she could to make sure her dogs were happy, socialized, and well behaved around everyone. She said that her dogs were generally well behaved and that she had worked with them and they were pretty well trained. She was wondering if there were any other things she should be doing or watching out for to make sure that their quality of life was the best she could provide.
There is so much information on the internet, in magazines, in book stores, or from our friends on what we should do for our dogs. We could spend the rest of our lives just reading about what we should do with our dogs. Life is just too short, so Robin and I wanted to give our lunch partner and you a quick list of five important things you should always do for your dog:
- Walk and exercise your dog every day. Just about all dogs love to run, play, and go nuts. It is both a physical and mental release and helps to keep them well behaved for you.
- Make sure you take your dog to the Vet at least once a year for a check-up. This will help identify any medical problems before they become problems is a very good habit. While you are there, your vet will also review if your dog requires any vaccines, flea control or heart worm preventative medications. These measures will help to keep your dog healthy and safe.
- Just have a good eye out for your dog. Daily monitoring of your dog’s appetite and potty habits are a part of be a good responsible dog owner. Just like humans, healthy dogs have a good appetite, normal potty routines, and an appropriate weight. Anything unusual should be noted and any persistent changes should be reported to your veterinarian.
- Don’t feed your dog junk. Good nutrition is one way a dog owner can proactively make a difference in their dog’s health. Although you should always confer with your vet regarding your dog’s nutrition, we suggest feeding your dog a high quality, grain-free, dry dog food. This will help provide the nutrition they need as well as help manage their weight. We suggest feeding your dog a great dog food we have fed our dogs for over ten years. You can find out more about it by going to Really Good Dog Food.
- Keep your dog properly groomed. Monitoring your dogs nails and trim them when needed, brush his teeth at least every other day and daily brushing of his hair are important ways to prevent ongoing issues such as dental disease, torn nails, matting, and needless shedding around your home.
These actions don’t take too much time and will help your dog be healthy, wealthy, and wise for a long time.
We encourage you to contact Robin or myself at (770) 718-7704 if you are in need of any dog training help. Over the years we have answered many questions from our clients and neighbors and have posted them on our blog at Best Dog Trainers Jasper Georgia. Please locate our phone numbers, text addresses and email contacts at Dog Training Help Center Jasper Georgia.