Training Tips to Protect Your Dog From Poisons

We were at a dog training session in Big Canoe working with a client and their Golden Retriever last week.  After we finished training the dog and began to leave, the client had a dog safety and proper care question for us.  She said that she and her kids always seemed to leave things around the house for their dog to get into.  She was wondering what things her dog really shouldn’t have.  She needed to know what things are not safe and what things might be poison to their dog.  They are training their dog to be a great family member and they don’t want him to become sick.

We explained that all dogs are naturally curious creatures.  This is why we advise dog owners not only to know and be careful about potential poisons in and around the home, but also to learn to recognize the signs that a dog might eaten something poisonous.  When that happens, they need to know what actions to take.  A very important fact that we must remember is just because something is safe for people to eat doesn’t necessarily mean it is safe for our dogs to eat.

Here are some very important tips you can use to help protect your dog from accidental poisoning and becoming sick:

  • Watch out for toxic foods.  These include, but are not limited to avocado, chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, coffee, alcohol, macadamia nuts, and chewing gum or candy containing xylitol (a sweetener that is safe for humans but toxic for dogs).
  • Many plants are toxic to dogs. Whatever part of the plant may be dangerous (leaves, fruit, seeds), learn about the types of toxic plants that may grow in your home and surroundings, and keep your dog away from them or remove them entirely.
  • Keep your dog off lawns or gardens that have been treated with fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides.  If your dog has walked on treated lawns, wash his paws as soon as you get home to avoid any possible contact with the poison.
  • Store poisonous materials used to get rid of insects and other household rodents in places that your dog cannot access.  Some baits smell sweet but are very toxic to dogs, causing severe internal bleeding.
  • Consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any herbal supplement, vitamin, or human medication.  Even small doses of some human medication can be lethal to dogs.  Keep all medicines well out of your dog’s reach.
  • Keep your dog away from common household cleaners (the fumes can be noxious) and heavy metals (such as lead) found in paint chips and linoleum.
  • Ask your veterinarian for a detailed list of all potentially poisonous items, substances and plants found around your home.

Possible Symptoms of Poisoning (Toxicity) in Your Dog:

  • Hyperactivity OR sluggishness/lethargy
  • Increased thirst OR lack of thirst or hunger
  • Vomiting/upset stomach
  • Labored OR shallow breathing
  • Dilated pupils
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Drooling
  • Increased OR decreased heart rate
  • Fever
  • Stumbling or staggering

Please call us at (770) 718-7704 it you are in need of any dog training help.  We have a lot of good dog training advice at Best Dog Trainers Big Canoe Georgia.  Find all our phone numbers, text addresses and email contacts at Dog Training Help Center Big Canoe Georgia.